Your Phone Model is nothing, Build Number is everything!

Importance of Build Number on Tecno, Infinix and Itel phones

If you own an Itel, Infinix, Tecno..infact any Android phone then you might want to pay a little more attention to one piece of information perching quietly on your phone; the Build Number.
The Build Number can be located under Settings > About > Build Number of your phone.

So what is this Build Number of a thing and why is it so important?

Any talk on Build Number without the mention of Variants is incomplete. Have you ever heard of Variants? Well, variant is what separates the Men from the Boys in the Firmware Collection Micro Niche. Variants are two phones of the same model with a slight difference in hardware or software configuration. e.g Infinix Note 2 X600 LTE vs Infinix Note 2 X600. In this example, the major difference between the two phone models is that one supports LTE while the other does not. This makes them variants of each other.

Back to the Build Number. The Build Number tells you the model, Android version, group and software version date. Lets take the Build Number of one Infinix Hot 4 phone as our model Build Number.

X557-H807-A1-M-160815V57

From the above, we know that:

• Its a Hot 4 (X557)
  • It belongs to the H807 group
  • It belongs to the A1 sub-group
  • Its running on Android 6.x or Marshmallow (M)
  • The Software version date is 15/08/2016
  • Its a relatively new variant (V57)

Now, lets compare two Tecno W4 varinats (of the 5 we’ve seen so far)
W4-AW875A1-M-160808V2
W4-AW875A1-M-20160910

From the two examples above, you can see they’re identical in every way save for the dates (and V2 in the first example signifying its one of the newer variants). Does this mean you can inter-flash their firmware? Not necessarily and you’ll find out why later.

Let me stir things up a little:

X600-H532-A1-L-20151223
X600-H533-A1-L-20151223
X600-H533-B1-L-20151223
X600-H532-A1-M-20160224

These are for the Infinix Note 2 X600. As you can see, the differences occur in both the groups (H532 vs H533), sub-groups (A1 vs B1) and dates. The Infinix Note 2 is one phone you don’t want to flash the firmware for the wrong Build Number to because the only way back from that is an Infinix X600 Motherboard Jumper .

Another example using Itel

Itel-it1409-W406-20160715
Itel-it1409-W406-20160823
Itel-it1409-W406A-6.0-20161028

Here, the differences occur at the groups and dates.

I’ll take one last example using Tecno

CX-H501DEFG-N-171109V159
CX-H501DEFG-N-171109V159

If you’ve been unable to spot any difference between both build numbers then its because there’s none. Mind you, this build number has variants running on two different Mediatek chips; MT6750 & MT6755

How does Build Number affect which firmware I should choose to flash?

Flashing the firmware for a build with a different date is enough to cause problems. Even OTA update zips might not be cross compatible with Build Numbers of different dates; we’ve seen this with the Tecno C8 Lollipop upgrade to Marshmallow attempt. Flashing might be successful but then a number of bugs spring up due to incompatibility. Its very important that once you purchase your phone, you take note of your Build Number against a time when its bricked and none of the firmware you’ve tried seems to be working properly.

Its also important to note that firmware (for the same model and group) with a different date might work fine on your phone. Its just wise you do a full backup of your firmware before flashing…..just incase.

How can I get the firmware for my exact variant?

We at the Hovatek Forum work tirelessly to keep our Android firmware collections up to date down to compatible build numbers. Our list is different from any other you’ll find online because they’re constantly used in providing support to our members. This is why we’re able to quickly identify new variants or buggy firmware and take action. If you’re having issues finding the right firmware for your phone, we’ll be happy to help.

Have you had any bad experience due to different Variants or Build Numbers for your phone model?

47 comments on “Your Phone Model is nothing, Build Number is everything!

ERNEST

I have a hard bricked infinix x557, it does not charge or turn on no matter how hard i push the power button, but it produces continuously the connect and disconnect sound when connected to a pc.
because the phone can not power I do not have access to view the build number, it makes it difficult for me to ascertain the actual stock rom or firmware to flash with.

Hovatek

In your case, you’re way past Build Number. It’ll have to be trial and error.
You can find firmware for your model @ https://forum.hovatek.com/thread-533.html

Molly Namara

So how can this error be corrected in order to get my build number?

Enigma

What error are you getting?

Sameh

Hello
Just I Wanna know if Android nougat is available to my phone infinix hot 4 Lite which build number is ‏x557-H807BE-M-170524V173 and what happened if i install Android 7 which belongs to hot 4 is it could be crash my phone?!!
Thx alot

mela

Please Hovatek .My Itel s31 build number v068 dead after flashing stock rom of itel s31 build number v031. please hovatek give me stock rom of itel s31 build number v068.

Enigma

Well, you shouldn’t have done that without first making a backup. Have you posted this at our Forum?

abdo

Zero2pro انفنيكسhello i need a nougat or android 6 for infinix zero 2 pro
3 gb ram
4g
16 gb rom
stock 5.1
mt 6735
kernel 3.10.65
thanks
and if there an open rom that need to port it’s ok but i need the way of porting

Ayodele

plz hovatek I need a stock Rom of my TECNO l7.It is hard bricked and I don’t know d build No.

Victor Oliveira

My case is the same as Ernest on it, but my phone is Leagoo Kiicaa Mix, do you have any firmware for it?

daniel

thank your very much for such educative post, most of us have little knowledge about what we are doing, but now i understand better .. i followed every tutorial i found online but they never mentioned anything about how important is build number when flashing a firmware. i am a victim of a bricked phone and so unfortunately i didn’t back up my firmware.. now i am so confused and i don’t know what to do.

i have a infinix hot 4

Enigma

That’s rather unfortunate but we can help. You’ll need to download and flash each full rom at https://forum.hovatek.com/thread-19956.html till one works. If you’d noted your build number then that would have narrowed down which rom you need to download

daniel

i also want to know, if i can flash my phone with a build number with different version?

Enigma

its usually best to stick to your build number, this isn’t to say other builds can’t work, only that there’s an almost equal chance of incompatibility.

Bayu

My infinix note 4 x572 is hard brick and i do not know the build number. How i can choose the right firmware for my phone? Help me please… ( sory for my bad english)

Enigma

Its already too late to find out the Build Number. What you need to do now is backup your phone’s current firmware then keep flashing different firmware for your phone model till one works

Michael

Hi.. I want to root my Tecno camon cx air and i have looked through every thread regarding rooting my device.. I can’t find my current build number CXAir-H3713A-N-171207V139 on the thread.. I’m hoping you’ll help me out by getting a Twrp/Philz recovery for this build number.. Thank you

Enigma

Use Magisk at https://forum.hovatek.com/thread-21427.html or port Philz recovery for your build using our tool at https://forum.hovatek.com/thread-21495.html

Hadi Prayitno

Saya punya infinix zero 3 sudah ada sistem versi terbaru tapi tidak ada tulisan UNDUH seperti sebelumnya bagaimana cara atasinya ya……

Ngigi

Hi I have an infinix Zero 4 Plus X602,its build number X602-H972A1-M-161115V119…do you have an update file matching the build#… i needed some help on it… it has an issue with storage while connecting to a PC storage indicates as 1.57GB while through the system menu on the phone it indicates 64GB…partly contributing to slow start up, random reboots & cant really take any file larger than 900MB… i’ve restored to factory settings but nothings changing + it has not been previously rooted, any help in solving?

Enigma

Please, create a new thread at our forum and our forums reps will provide free step by step assistance
see https://forum.hovatek.com/thread-514.html for how to create a thread

CherryFirmware

I was wondering if you ever thought of changing the structure of your site?
Its very well written; I love what youve got to say. But
maybe you could a little more in the way of content so people could
connect with it better. Youve got an awful lot of text for only having one or two images.
Maybe you could space it out better?

Enigma

Thanks for the suggestion. We’ll surely look into it.

samweli jumanne

I didn’t find the the exactly firmware for tecno w3 white cover back

Enigma

what is the build number?

Franklin

Thanks for the wonderful expository, my case is with tecno camom c7. A colleague’s form bricked and can not ascertain the real number but before it completely went dead, i was able to write out series of code i saw when trying to reset it with the power and volume bottom as shown: 6.0/MRA/1474532255 and Tecnofull_rlk6735_65u-m0/rlk6735-65u-m. I am trying to flash it using the firmware i got from the net but some of the scatter .txt will come out with the error, “not enough space”, Failure error and the likes. Any help on this please?

Enigma

I suggest you pend flashing for now till we help troubleshoot.
see https://forum.hovatek.com/thread-514.html for how to create a thread

Subhan Ali

Hello Sir,
I Need A Firmware file for “Tceno W5 Clone”. It’s a Clone of Tecno w5 so i am unable to find the Stock ROM. Plz Help me out. Thank you.

yetay

what is the model number of infinix hot not

Hot Note is X551

donb

Please help,I upgraded my infinix note 4 with 3RAM and 32GB from iOS 7 to iOS 8 after successful upgrading my phone started malfunctioning.a friend told me that it is as a result of incomplete upgrade.and my phone is virus free.please I need good information.

Enigma

Yes, upgrades are sometimes buggy. Have you tried doing a factory reset?

bugre

Hello Admin, I bricked my Infnix Note 2 so I opened it up and copied these numbers from the board…

10H532X652112396
H532 B1

I have searched through the infinix firmware thread but could not find a ROM for this build. Kindly help me with finding the right ROM to flash my phone. Please help my phone is an absolute vegetable right now.
Thank very much, for any assistance will be much appreciated.

see https://forum.hovatek.com/thread-514.html for how to create a thread

bugre

Hello Admin, I bricked my phone before I could write down the build number so I opened it up and wrote down these numbers on the board
10H532X652112396
X600 H532 B1
However, I could not find a stock ROM for this build number from the infinix firmware thread on the forum.
Kindly help me with the right stock ROM or this build number if available, every single assistance to help me bring my phone back to life will be much appreciated.

nyalusi

thanks for this education is very helpful,….. myself i have tecno w4 and i flashed the rom which has different number and now am suffering the consequences.

1. i dont know my build number
2. i have tried different roms but TOUCH SCREEN IS NOT WORKING

Anyone with the solution.

Enigma

It’ll have to be trial and error from this point. Try other Tecno W4 roms @ https://forum.hovatek.com/thread-19339.html

Jay

I upgraded my infinix note 4 from android 7.1 to 8.1. now the performance of the phone is poor. I want to downgrade back to its original version. the problem I have I that I didn’t take note of the build number before upgrade. can you assist me with this

We can help
see https://forum.hovatek.com/thread-514.html for how to create a thread

R.F TECH

hello pls I need a password for itel A32f file to extract on winrar.

Mojtaba suliman

Hello
I bought the new tecno Phantom 8 and i was trying to root it.
I accidentally bricked it ,i have been searching for its firmware for 3 weeks and i get nothing .
I hope you can help me ,it chip name MT6757D

Check https://forum.hovatek.com/thread-23202.html
Ensure to register and post at our forum so we can guide you through fixing the phone.

RuthAsamoah