Oracle VM VirtualBox enables you run multiple Operating Systems on your Windows PC. With Oracle VirtualBox, there’s no need for Dual Booting. You simply run the Application like a regular Windows application and your additional Operating Systems are all fired up, ready to run. You can see an example of Oracle VirtualBox at work @ https://forum.hovatek.com/thread-1004.html where an Ubuntu Operating System is installed on a Windows PC.
How does Oracle VirtualBox work?
The Operating System your PC is running on is the “Host” Operating System and any Operating System you install in Oracle VitualBox is a “Guest” Operating System. When setting up guest Operating Systems, Oracle VirtualBox assigns (you set the values) the guest Operating System some of the host Operating System’s resources like RAM and Hard disk space. In the tutorial @ https://journal.hovatek.com/how-to-install-windows-7-with-and-without-the-operating-system-cd-dvd/ , Oracle VirtualBox was used.
What are the system requirements to run Oracle VirtualBox?
- An x86 hardware (64 bit PC). Any recent Intel or AMD processor should be fine.
- At least 512 MB of RAM to run. You’ll need at least 1 GB of RAM if you wish to run guest Operating Systems (which require at least 512 MB of RAM)
- At least 30 MB to run. You need to consider allocations for guest Operating System files which run into Gigabytes
- A host Operating System like Windows (XP and later), many Linux distributions, Mac OS X, Solaris and OpenSolaris)
- A guest Operating System (the additional OS you wish to install)
How do I install OracleVirtualBox?
1. Download the Windows installer @ https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
2. Run the installer as Administrator and select Yes when prompted
3. Click Next
4. Click Next
5. Click Next
6. Click Yes
7. Click Install
8. Wait while the Wizard installs Oracle VirtualBox
9. When prompted, tick “Always trust software from Oracle Corporation” and click Install
10. Wait while Installation completes
11. Click Finish
12. The Oracle VirtualBox dashboard should automatically appear
How do I setup a guest Operating System in Oracle VirtualBox?
1. Download the ISO of the guest Operating System
2. Run Oracle VirtualBox
3. Click New
4. Input the OS name, select the type and version from the dropdown menu then click Next
5. Allocate RAM to the guest OS. Note that the RAM you allocate here will be deducted from the RAM of the host PC so do not over allocate. Keep it well below 50% so the host PC doesn’t lag and cause Oracle VirtualBox to crash too. Click Next
6. If you already have a Virtual Hard Disk File (.vmdk) then select “Use an existing virtual hard disk file”. If what you have is the ISO file then select “Create a virtual hard disk now”. Click Create
7. If you’ll be using the ISO file then tick VDI (VirtualBox Disk Image); else, tick the appropriate option and click Next
8. Select Dynamically allocated if you want the hard disk space used by the guest OS to increase on its demand. Select Fixed size to specify the hard disk space to be allocated to the guest OS. I often go with Fixed size. Click Next
9. Allocate Hard Disk space to the guest OS. Once again, do not over allocate. Click Create
10. Wait while VirtualBox prepares the partition for the guest OS
11. The Virtual OS should now appear in VirtualBox
12. Highlight the OS and click Start
13. Click the folder icon to select the ISO file
14. Navigate to the location of the ISO file, highlight it then click Open
15. Click Start
16. Installation of the guest OS should begin. The exact steps from this point will vary with the OS being installed
Where can I download the latest version of Oracle VirtualBox?
Download @ https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
Hovatek….just a button away!
Need further assistance? Speak with a Hovatek Representative:
Working Hours: Mondays - Saturdays ; 09:00 - 18:00 (GMT +1:00)
* Upgrade to Premium Membership for Live Support: https://blog.hovatek.com/premium-membership
* Hovatek's Mobile app: https://app.hovatek.com
* Skype: Hovatek
* BBM: Hovatek
* BBM Channel: http://www.pin.bbm.com/C00403D80
* PC chat: Click "Chat With Us" at the bottom-right corner of this page
* Helpline(s): +2348021840309
* Email: [email protected]
* Facebook: https://facebook.com/hovatek