Back in early February 2017, Mediatek announced the Helio P25 chip, their latest addition to the Helio P series for Dual Camera Smartphones. Before this, they’d introduced the Mediatek Helio X23 & Helio X27 chips; both aimed at improving overall user experience. Prior to both announcements (back in September 2016), they had announced the Mediatek Helio X30 which features TSMC’s 10nm FinFET process (making it the most powerful chip of the Helio X series and the first with a 10nm FinFET process) and finally unveiled it last week (the 27th. of February) at the Mobile World Congress (M.W.C) for commercial availability.
According to Jeffrey Ju, Executive Vice President and Co-COO of MediaTek, “MediaTek’s Helio X30 fuses together state-of-the-art processing architecture, fabrication and connectivity to provide an unparalleled mobile experience. This powerhouse chipset is another example of our vision to bring premium mobile experiences to life.”
You would recall that Mediatek had introduced the Helio P10 (its first Helio chip) in the fourth quarter of 2015 at the M.W.C . The Helio X30 marks notable improvements since then. Some of its features are:
- 10nm, 10-Core, Tri-Cluster architecture built for extreme performance: two ARM Cortex-A73 at 2.5 GHz, four ARM Cortex-A53 at 2.2 GHz and four ARM Cortex-A35 at 1.9 GHz.
- LTE WorldMode Cat.10 modem fulfills smartphone users’ need for speed with seamless connectivity, supporting for three downlink Carrier Aggregation (3CA) and two uplink Carrier Aggregation (2CA) for high volume content streaming.
- Imagination PowerVR Series7XT Plus clocked at 800MHz, is a tailored GPU for MediaTek Helio X30. It offers power savings up to 60 percent while increasing performance by up to 2.4 times compared to its previous platform.
- Built in multimedia features deliver next-generation experiences. And it’s the industry’s first mobile SoC to bring a power-efficient, hardware based 4K2K 10-bit HDR10 video decoding to smartphones. The camera zoom feature offers 2x optical zoom in a super slim form factor.
- CorePilot 4.0 Technology which incorporates intelligent task scheduling system, thermal management and user experience monitoring systems. This combination can predict an individual’s power usage scenario on the device and prioritize which application is most critical at that point in time to control power consumption.
- ClearZoom which ensures signal fidelity and Temporal Noise Reduction (TNR) which reduces video temporal noise and preserves image detail
We expect to see Mediatek Helio X30 powered smartphones hit the market by the second quarter of this year.