Infinix has released Marshmallow (Android 6) for the Infinix Hot 2 (X510) . This update requires the phone to be running on stock ROM (not rooted) and also on stock recovery. Reverting the phone to unrooted state (stock ROM) and stock recovery isn’t difficult but the challenge most people have with the Infinix X510 is booting this phone into stock recovery since Volume up + Power and ADB don’t work. In this guide, We’ll be showing you how to bypass these restrictions and successfully upgrade your Infinix Hot 2 X510 to Marshmallow.
* Note: Ensure your phone’s battery is over 50% before you proceed
Is the Marshmallow update meant for the X510 1GB or 2GB RAM version?
It is meant for both variants.
How do I upgrade the Infinix Hot 2 X510 to Android 6 (Marshmallow)?
There are two methods you could use:
Method A: OTA update
- Ensure the phone is not rooted and is running on stock recovery (see the procedure on how to return to stock ROM below)
- On the phone, navigate to Settings > About > System updates > Tap Check for update
- Download and install all the OTA updates you get till the Marshmallow update pops up
- Wait till the update is downloaded, it should be about 640MB
- Tap Restart & Install
- The phone should reboot into recovery, update then reboot normally
Note that the update is currently rolling out and might not be available for your device as at the time of this publication.
Method B: Manual (stock recovery)
- Ensure to backup your contacts and other important stuff (see https://journal.hovatek.com/how-to-backup-restore-and-recover-accidentally-deleted-or-lost-android-contacts/) before you proceed
- Download the Infinix Hot 2 X510-D5110-Androidone-20151012 firmware at https://hovatek.com/redirect.php?link=https://mega.nz/#!8EkjhSYY!llzMEN4RoKQpRzoRbu5ESR9p2Cfujb6uyG2nhLav57o
- Install VCOM drivers on the PC using https://forum.hovatek.com/thread-440.html
- Flash the stock ROM to the phone using SP Flash Tool at https://forum.hovatek.com/thread-159.html (Ensure to use the Firmware upgrade option)
- Boot up the phone normally and complete the setup wizard (remove the battery and slot it back in if the phone gets stuck at boot animation when booting)
- Navigate to Settings > About > System updates and install pending OTA (e.g 64MB and 10MB) updates
- Download the Infinix Hot 2 X510 Android 6 Marshmallow OTA zip at http://adf.ly/1UwmpX and copy it to the phone’s SD card
- Setup ADB on the PC using the guide at https://forum.hovatek.com/thread-588.html and launch ADB
- To launch ADB; Open the ADB folder > Hold down the SHIFT key on the keyboard > While holding SHIFT, right-click on an empty space in the ADB folder > Select Open command window here
- Enable USB debugging on the phone using https://forum.hovatek.com/thread-10109.html and connect it to the PC (while turned on) via a USB cord
- To boot the phone into recovery mode using ADB, type the commands below and press Enter after each line
adb reboot recovery
- You should now see an Android icon on the phone with No Command written
- First press the Power button then the Volume up button and release both at the same time
- You should now be in Stock recovery
- In stock recovery, you use the Volume up button to navigate up, Volume down button to navigate down and Power button to select
- While in stock recovery, tap Apply update from SD card
- Navigate to the location of the OTA zip and select it
- Wait till flashing is complete (takes quite some time so don’t interrupt)
- Tap Reboot system now to reboot the phone
- Once the phone boots up completely, navigate to Settings > About to confirm that the Infinix Hot 2 X510 phone has been successfully upgraded to Marshmallow (Android 6).
Hovatek….just a button away!
Need further assistance? Speak with a Hovatek Representative:
Working Hours: Mondays - Saturdays ; 09:00 - 18:00 (GMT +1:00)
* Upgrade to Premium Membership for Live Support: https://blog.hovatek.com/premium-membership
* Hovatek's Mobile app: https://app.hovatek.com
* Skype: Hovatek
* BBM: Hovatek
* BBM Channel: http://www.pin.bbm.com/C00403D80
* PC chat: Click "Chat With Us" at the bottom-right corner of this page
* Helpline(s): +2348149906767
* Email: [email protected]
* Facebook: https://facebook.com/hovatek