how to unroot a mediatek mtk android phone

It does feel good to see an Over The Air (OTA) update from your Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM), especially when its a leap from one major version of Android to another. In a haste to update, some device users end up encountering errors or even bricking their phones while trying to install OTA updates on rooted devices; causing the phones in question to always boot straight into recovery mode. In such a situation, a factory reset doesn’t help in any way. We did provide a fix for this at https://forum.hovatek.com/thread-5517.html but today’s guide is focused on prevention.

Why do I need to unroot before I can install an OTA update?

OTA updates are signed. This means the Android system checks the integrity of core partitions before proceeding with installation of the OTA zip file. What this means is that if you have somehow altered these core partitions, you will likely encounter an error or end up with a bricked Android phone.

What exactly am I trying to achieve by unrooting?

You are simply trying to return your boot, recovery and system partitions to their original states so they can pass the System test (Root Integrity check).

How do I perform a Root Integrity check?

Why isn’t the unroot option in my SuperSU or Kinguser the best option for me?

We’ve had a number of bricked phones due to opting for this method of unrooting. Your /system partition has already been modified / patched so you’re still exposed to the possibility of an incompatibility with the OTA zip file since the Super User unroot option does not completely cover its trail.

How do I unroot an MTK phone before flashing an OTA update?

Sponsored Links

You will be reverting the boot, recovery and system partitions because they are core and are commonly altered in order to root or after rooting. To unroot your MTK Android phone ahead of an OTA update:

Will I lose my data after unrooting using this method?

If you flash only recovery, boot and system (Android) then your data will not be affected. If -on the other hand- you flash the entire firmware then you will lose your data. To backup your important contacts, SMS etc, follow the guide at https://journal.hovatek.com/backup-your-android-apps-sms-contacts-call-logs-calendars-and-bookmarks-using-super-backup/

Hovatek….just a button away!

Need further assistance? Speak with a Hovatek Representative:
Working Hours: Mondays - Saturdays ; 09:00 - 18:00 (GMT +1:00)

37 comments on “How to unroot a Mediatek Android phone in order to successfully install an OTA update

Keemie

Thanks for this tutorial. Which option should I select on sp flash tool for system I can see BOOTIMG which I assume is for image and also RECOVERY which I assume is the option to select to flash the recover image so which one should I select for system.

Hovatek

For system.img, it’s Android.
Untick all others except these 3

steven

please how do i port a “custom recovery” on my infinix x530 race max Q..
or make my kernel support a “swap file”
or better still,,,how do i port or flash any thing custom on my phone…..
really need u guyz help…plz.

You’ll need to ask this at the Hovatek Forum

Harry Georgiou

I want my touchscreen working properly after I flash my phone, so far I press my touchscreen and it does not respond properly, any tips? I have a THL, I have the stock ROM scatter file, it all has an address I have tried just download that does not work, I am trying firmware upgrade and I only see a red LED on my mobile phone, I will try download and Format all too, I tried it before but not really much success.
Any tips how to bring it back to normal.
https://androidmtk.com/download-thl-stock-rom-models I got it from here

Harry Georgiou

Any tips how to bring it back to normal.
https://androidmtk.com/download-thl-stock-rom-models I got it from here
Sorry I pressed space when I wanted to check the receive email for response, is there a more recent or better ROM I can download ???

Harry

Hovatek

Was flashing successful with the green OK sign?

some

Please i need GIONEEE m5mini stock firmware or the custom recovery

Hovatek

We’ll list the stock rom @ https://forum.hovatek.com/thread-389.html once available

first off all I thnkfull to u for your kind guidness .sir am using win8 and I do same method as u guid us but I still a problum with my sp tool .it not detect mtk device. can u help me??+923116446751 is my whatsapp number plz give me ur answer

Try using a Wibdows 7 PC instead

Simeon oluwatosin

Good day. Please I can see UBOOT and BOOTIMG. Which of it is the Boot I am a supposed to tick.

Hovatek

Just load the scatter file. You don’t need to manually tick or load any item

Toby

Good morning am having issues unrooting my infinix x600 LTE 2gig ram. All the stock roms I downloaded failed to xtract properly therefore I can’t flash recovery, boot and system Pls hovateck can u help me to a link where I can download d selected items Cam I have wasted to much data thanks in anticipation.

Hovatek

You’re lucky youv haven’t flashed the wrong firmware. You would’ve been regretting by now. What’s your phone’s build number?

Toby

Thanks for responding my build number is X600-H533-A1-M-20160317. I have downloaded d rom twice but when unzipping it writes one error or d other. I considered downloading d flashfire app n then downloading the XOS update to do a manual updated. But I realize am not so good with all d computer thing so I just want to unroot my phone and wait for the ota to popup. Thanks for ur asisstance n time.

Hovatek

What error do you get when unzipping and which software are you using to unzip

Toby

I used 7zips to unzip and the error is with d system image.

Hovatek

The problem is from your download. Are you downloading using a phone or PC?
See https://forum.hovatek.com/thread-11899.html

Toby

My phone. I downloaded from this link [http://www.romkingz.net/2015/12/download-infinix-x600-stock-rom.html?m=1] when I couldn’t access your own link.

Try using a PC instead

Toby

I used 7zips to unzip and the error is with d system image.
CRC failed in ‘system.img’. File is broken.

Hovatek

Your download is corrupt. What device are you downloading with?

Toby

I downloaded using my phone.

Try using a PC instead

Toby

Boss can I get a trusted link for my build from u

Hovatek

I already gave you the link to check

Toby

Boss the thread is closed should I post like that

Hovatek

you’re supposed to create a new thread, not comment under that one

Toby

OK boss any info for me on flashfire usage cause I saw that on ur bbm channel

You’ll need to post this at the Hovatek Forum

Toby

Sir pls where did u post the link so I can download it.

check my previous reply

Emmanuel

Good day Sir.

Been scouring the net for a fix to a dilemma I have with my Infinix Note 3 X601and stumbled on your website with its boatload of help, guides and tips. I can say I’ve been truly enriched.

My problem is this. My phone is rooted and runs Nougat XOS v 139. I would like to upgrade it to the v152 update recently released. Tried uprooting via the SuperSu app but that didn’t work of course..

Just read your tutorial on unrooting MTK devices through flashing system, boot and recovery files. I could do that, sure, but I’ll like to know if either of these two can also work for me:

1. Flashing the update manually via SP Flash Tool/and then immediately rerooting through custom recovery before booting into Android.

2. Using the Flashfire app to install the update from my phone.

I’ll be grateful if you can give me guidance on this issue.

Only option 1 is advisable. Option 2 could brick your phone