Its very embarrassing for someone to gain access to your account and begin asking your Facebook friends for Airtime (recharge cards); something far beneath you. The rate at which people’s Facebook accounts get hacked / hijacked is on the rise and they are at fault in many cases. I’ve been receiving emails from members asking how to regain control of their compromised Facebook accounts so I thought to put together this brief guide.
How did my Facebook account get hacked?
The most likely way your account got hacked is phishing. Phisphing is when you receive an SMS or email from a malicious source (claiming to be Facebook) providing a URL which when clicked, prompts you to supply your Facebook credentials. Using the same password for multiple online accounts could be another cause.
How do I know that my Facebook account has been hacked?
You would usually be unable to login to your account using your previous credentials or begin seeing strange messages / posts by your account.
How do I regain access to my Facebook account?
- The first thing you should do is change the password to your email account
- If you notice strange wall posts by your account, its probably some app you granted access to your Facebook account. Navigate to Settings > Apps and delete any strange App, Website or Plugin on the list
- If a hacker has locked you out of your account, try using the Forgot password link on the login page to regain access.
- If the password reset code feature gets temporarily disabled because you and the hacker have been at a tug of war then you should now see a link prompting you to temporarily lock your account if you think it has been hacked. You will however need to answer your security question correctly to proceed with account recovery
I regained access to my Facebook account but it got hacked again shortly after. How did this happen?
One technique a hacker could use to re-hijack your Facebook account is to have added his / her email address under General Account Settings > Account after the first hack. This way, the hacker can initiate a valid password reset using his / her email address already added to your account recovery options. Once you regain access, you should lookout for any strange email address or phone number in your account recovery setting and delete. Also ensure you change your email account’s password.
If you’re still having trouble regaining access to your hacked Facebook account then post a comment and Team Hovatek will gladly help out.
Need further assistance? Speak with a Hovatek Representative:
Working Hours: Mondays - Saturdays ; 09:00 - 18:00 (GMT +1:00)
* Upgrade to Premium Membership for Live Support: https://blog.hovatek.com/premium-membership
* Hovatek's Mobile app: https://app.hovatek.com
* Skype: Hovatek
* BBM: Hovatek
* BBM Channel: http://www.pin.bbm.com/C00403D80
* PC chat: Click "Chat With Us" at the bottom-right corner of this page
* Helpline(s): +2348149906767
* Email: [email protected]
* Facebook: https://facebook.com/hovatek
Hovatek….just a button away!