I bet you’ve heard the phrase Don’t put all your eggs in one basket. The idea is to ensure you still have some eggs should anything happen to one basket. partitioning is something like that, except you have many small baskets in one giant basket. In this guide, we’ll be delving into partitioning, its advantages, disadvantages and procedure.
What does it mean to partition a Hard Disk Drive (HDD) or Storage Device?
Disk partitioning is the act of dividing a Hard Disk Drive (HDD) or Storage Device into multiple logical storage units referred to as partitions, to treat one physical disk drive as if it were multiple disks, so that a different file system can be used on each partition. Partitioning could also mean to write a partition table to the device, which defines which parts of the available space on the device belongs to which partition, each of which can have its own file system.
How do I partition a Hard Disk or Storage Device?
- Press the Windows button / Start menu and search for Disk Management then launch it or
- Open any folder
- Right-click on My Computer and select Manage
- In Computer Management , select Disk Management
- In Disk Management, locate the Disk you wish to partition
- Right-click on the Disk and select Shrink Partition
- Wait for the Shrink Wizard to launch
- In front of Enter the amount of Space to shrink in MB, enter the desired size of the partition about to be created in Megabytes (must not be more than Size of available shrink space in MB )
- Wait till the process is complete and you should see a newly created partition with a black line on top of it (Black = Unallocated ; Blue = Primary partition )
- Right-click on the newly created partition and select New Simple Volume
- Enter the size of the simple volume in Megabytes (you can leave the default value if not certain here) then click Next
- Tick Assign the following drive letter and pick a drive letter of your choosing then click Next
- Tick Format this volume with the following settings (leave the default values if you’re not sure) then click Next
- Wait till the process is complete and the newly created partition should be ready for use
See the video tutorial below or @ http://youtu.be/ngHN70iBM7s
Hovatek….just a button away!
Need further assistance? Speak with a Hovatek Representative:
Working Hours: Mondays - Saturdays ; 09:00 - 18:00 (GMT +1:00)
* Request for Private Support
* Install the Hovatek mobile app
* Listen to H-Tech Radio
* Helpline: +2348021840309
* E-mail: [email protected]
* Skype: Hovatek