In my previous articles on fixing nuked Blackberry devices (refer to https://journal.hovatek.com/how-to-fix-repair-a-corrupt-nuked-or-crashed-blackberry-operating-system-software-os/) and upgrading a Blackberry OS (https://journal.hovatek.com/how-to-downgrade-upgrade-or-update-a-blackberry-operating-system-os-to-a-prefered-version/), I talked only briefly about such procedures on Blackberry 10 devices. This tutorial will focus on fixing / upgrading a Blackberry 10 device’s OS using the Autoloader technique.
What is an Autoloader?
An Autoloader is an offline OS installer which enables you load or flash the OS to a Blackberry 10 device offline (without needing an internet connection). The Autoloader file runs into Gigabytes in size and is a smarter technique over the OTA method when multiple devices are involved or you would want to repeat the procedure in the nearest future.
Can I load just any Autoloader to my phone?
No. You best get the Autoloader for the exact model and variant of your phone.
- All Z10 variants (STL100-2, -3, -4) are the same except for STL100-1.
- All Z30 variants (STA100-x) are the same.
- All Q5 (SQR100-x) and Q10 (SQN100-x) variants are the same.
How do I check my phone’s model and model number?
To do this, navigate to System Settings > About. Another method is to take out the battery and look behind the phone’s plate.
What do I need to successfully use the Autoloader method?
- The Autoloader.exe file for Windows. Mac users can use Bootcamp
- A Windows / Mac PC
- USB cord
- The Blackberry 10 device
Is there anything I need to do before running the Autoloader.exe?
- Ensure you have sufficient battery on the PC to avoid an interruption
- Use a good USB cord and port to avoid an interruption
- Double-check to be sure that the Autoloader is for your exact model and variant
- Backup the phone (if possible) using Blackberry Link
How do I load a Blackberry 10 OS using Autoloader?
1. Download the correct Autoloader for your phone model and variant at http://developer.blackberry.com/blackberry10devalpha/allautoloaders.html
2. Run the Autoloader.exe as Administrator if you can
3. Once Autoloader comes up, you should see “Connecting to Bootrom:_”
4. Connect the phone (with a battery in it) to the PC via USB cord and wait for Autoloader to detect it
5. Once the phone gets detected, flashing should begin and the phone should have a green LED light (wait till it gets to 100)
6. The phone will auto reboot (could do so several times) once Autoloader is finished and then boot up to the setup screen
My Blackberry 10 device is in a bootloop after installing / upgrading the OS using Autoloader, what do I do?
This is quite normal after using the loader, just give it some time and it’ll boot up. Ensure to charge the battery using an external charger incase its drained. If the bootloop persists for more than 30 minutes then re-run Autoloader or try using another Autoloader file.
Hovatek….just a button away!
Need further assistance? Speak with a Hovatek Representative:
Working Hours: Mondays - Saturdays ; 09:00 - 18:00 (GMT +1:00)
* Upgrade to Premium Membership for Live Support: https://blog.hovatek.com/premium-membership
* Hovatek's Mobile app: https://app.hovatek.com
* Skype: Hovatek
* BBM: Hovatek
* BBM Channel: http://www.pin.bbm.com/C00403D80
* PC chat: Click "Chat With Us" at the bottom-right corner of this page
* Helpline(s): +2348149906767
* Email: [email protected]
* Facebook: https://facebook.com/hovatek