If you’ve ever had your Android phone go unresponsive or black on you while in use (and still on) then this is one variant of the Android black screen of death (different from when the Android phone is bricked and totally dead). In this very scenario we’ll be discussing, you’ll see lights on the soft keys (Home, Menu and Back) which indicates that the phone is still on but the screen will be totally black, no key or buttons responding.
What could cause the Android Black Screen of Death?
This error usually points at a slow, hanging or lagging android (see https://journal.hovatek.com/how-to-easily-make-an-android-phone-run-faster-or-stop-lagging/ ) so you might want to consider the following:
- Launcher problems: The launcher in use might be experiencing some problems
- Buggy applications: Some apps might be encountering errors or have used up the phone’s resources
- Screen protector / guard: If these interfere with the phone’s sensors then this could be a problem
How do I fix the Android black screen of death?
If you have such an issue on your hands then try the following:
- Leave the phone for about 30 seconds then try waking it up with the power button
- Remove the battery for 20 seconds then slot back in and power up the phone
- Uninstall any recently installed / suspicious apps
- If the phone is running or a third party launcher, revert to stock launcher or use another
- Remove any casing, screen guard or protector
- If all of the above don’t work then boot into recovery mode (see https://forum.hovatek.com/thread-479.html ) and do a factory reset
- Flash the stock ROM if a factory reset doesn’t help
Hovatek….just a button away!