How to Fix MTP USB Device Driver (USB Device not configured correctly

Today, I connected my Android phone to my PC and I heard the USB connection sound but my phone’s storages weren’t detected (both Internal and SD card). This was rather weird as I’d used it fine a few days back. I checked under Device Manager and noticed that MTP had a warning icon (yellow triangle) on it meaning it had somehow malfunctioned. On right-clicking and selecting properties, I saw

This device is not configured correctly. (Code 1)
A service installation section in this INF is invalid.
To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver

This could only mean that my Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) driver was corrupted.

How do I fix a corrupted or missing MTP USB Device Driver (USB Device not configured correctly)?

Sponsored Links

The fastest fix is to update the MTP driver software with the device still connected. The guide at https://forum.hovatek.com/thread-15777.html explains this technique. If that doesn’t help, You’ll need to install the Media Transfer Protocol Porting Kit and
Media Feature Pack for N and KN versions of Windows for Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 depending on which your PC is running on. Also, ensure to download the 32 or 64 bit version depending on which your PC is running on.

How do I know if my PC is a 32 or 64 bit PC?

To check this, right-click My Computer (or This PC) and select Properties. You’ll find it in front of System Type.

Hovatek….just a button away!

Need further assistance? Speak with a Hovatek Representative:

Working Hours: Mondays - Saturdays ; 09:00 - 18:00 (GMT +1:00)
* Upgrade to Premium Membership for Live Support: https://blog.hovatek.com/premium-membership
* Hovatek's Mobile app: https://app.hovatek.com
* Skype: Hovatek
* BBM: Hovatek
* BBM Channel: http://www.pin.bbm.com/C00403D80
* PC chat: Click "Chat With Us" at the bottom-right corner of this page
* Helpline(s): +2348149906767
* Email: [email protected]
* Facebook: https://facebook.com/hovatek

14 thoughts on “How to Fix MTP USB Device Driver (USB device not configured correctly) on a Windows PC

• August 31, 2016 at 8:15 pm

Don’t forget to share with your friends using the share buttons

• August 30, 2016 at 5:58 pm

hi,admin i ve downloaded the driver for windows 10 yet the usb ports re still with the yellow caution mark……although i installed the USB DRIVER on windows 7 but later upgraded to windows 10….could that be the problem????????

• August 31, 2016 at 8:16 pm

were they also yellow in Windows 7?

• September 10, 2016 at 3:01 pm

no ,working well in windows 7………i ve uninstalled the driver sef……..how do i go about installing a new driver pls?

• November 5, 2016 at 4:38 am

Each time I connect my Tecno L8 Plus to the PC as Media Device (MTP), I get the error message “ATTENTION Windows XP needs to identify this device. Service ack 3 and Windows Media Player 10 or higher required”. With this, the phone will not be seen on Windows Explorer. Note that I am using Windows 10 32bit. Please help me solve this problem. It is so frustrating.

• November 5, 2016 at 7:13 am

Is your PC able to detect any other MTP device?

• November 5, 2016 at 7:23 am

There are 3 options under the “USB computer Connection” and they are Media device (MTP), Camera (PTP) and Charge only.
        When I connect as Camera (PTP) my PC sees the phone but once I connect as Media device (MTP) the error message pops up and the system will not see it.

• November 5, 2016 at 9:20 am

Additionally, when I connect as Camera (PTP), the phone is properly seen and identified by Device Manager; but when I connect as Media device (MTP), it is seen as Unknown Device by the Device Manager.

• November 5, 2016 at 9:35 am

Means you’ll need to fix the MTP drivers as the guide instructs

• November 5, 2016 at 11:43 am

I have followed the guide as instructed. When I selected to search automatically which included both from my computer and from the internet for the driver, the installation came back with the following “Windows found a driver for your device but encountered a problem while installing it…. MTP Device…… A service installation section in this INF is invalid….”

I have installed Media Feature Pack for N and KN versions of windows 10
    I have also installed the Media Transfer Protocol Porting Kit
    Yet the problem persists. Any other idea please?

• December 16, 2016 at 11:03 pm