Its bad enough that your Blackberry doesn’t have a great battery life, then it has to go overheating on you! In this brief guide, we’ll be discussing why your Blackberry might be overheating (and getting drained faster in the process) , how to prevent it, and what to do when you find yourself in such a fix.
What could cause a Blackberry phone to overheat?
Common causes of an overheating Blackberry phone are:
- Charging via PC: Constantly charging your Blackberry using a PC (instead of a wall charger) is one of the major causes of a swollen / damaged battery
- Incompatible charger: The charger might be too powerful or not powerful enough for the phone
- Damaged battery: A damaged battery will not charge / discharge efficiently, resulting in overheating
- Running too many heavy apps at a time: Running too many apps or too many processor intensive ones at a time will increase the CPU load, causing the device to heat up
- Battery intensive processes: Battery intensive processes like high screen brightness, 3G, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth etc could result in overheating
- Heavy usage while charging: Using CPU intensive processes / heavy gaming while charging is another possible cause of overheating
- Buggy / Rogue application(s): A rogue application could be consuming system resources selfishly
- Hardware bug: The Blackberry’s power unit might be faulty
- Poor network coverage: If in an area with poor network coverage, the radio will keep searching for signal and this tells on the battery
- Insufficient ventilation: Stuffing the phone in your tight pocket, handbag or case could cause it to warm up mildly
How do I know that my Blackberry’s battery is faulty?
Some common symptoms of a damaged battery are:
- Phone restarting / going off on its own
- Battery not lasting as long as it used to
- White Screen of Death (WSOD) (see https://journal.hovatek.com/how-to-fix-the-blackberry-white-screen-of-death-wsod/ )
- Black Screen of Death (BSOD) (see https://journal.hovatek.com/how-to-fix-the-blackberry-black-screen-of-death-bsod/ )
- Phone overheating
How do I fix an overheating Blackberry phone?
When faced with an overheating Blackberry, consider the following fixes:
- Try a different charger: Avoid charging the phone using a PC, consider using a wall charger specific for the phone
- Battery Replacement: Consider replacing the battery if it gets full or goes flat too quickly
- Exit unused apps: Ensure to close (not minimize) apps not in use for an extended period
- Save power: Ensure to limit the use of animated screen savers. Also, avoid setting the screen brightness too high (see https://journal.hovatek.com/how-to-make-a-blackberry-battery-last-longer/ )
- Disable unused radio: Enable 3G, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth only when needed
- Avoid heavy usage while charging: Avoid running CPU / battery intensive processes while charging
- Remove rogue apps: Closely monitor which applications cause the phone to lag / throw exception error messages and uninstall / replace them (see https://journal.hovatek.com/how-to-fix-repair-a-corrupt-nuked-or-crashed-blackberry-operating-system-software-os/ )
- Switch to Airplane mode: If in an area with poor / no reception, switch to airplane mode when signal isn’t needed
- Allow for proper ventilation: Avoid placing the phone in ill ventilated areas or beside hot objects
- Device replacement: The overheating might be due to a hardware bug / defect. Consider a replacement / hardware check if the device is still under warranty
Hovatek….just a button away!
Need further assistance? Speak with a Hovatek Representative:
Working Hours: Mondays - Saturdays ; 09:00 - 18:00 (GMT +1:00)
* Request for Private Support
* Install the Hovatek mobile app
* Listen to H-Tech Radio
* Helpline: +2348021840309
* E-mail: [email protected]
* Skype: Hovatek