If you connect your Android device to your PC via USB cord (mass storage) a lot then you’re – at some point- bound to encounter a situation whereby the Android device only charges but the PC doesn’t detect the SD / memory card. Quite a number of things could cause this error (ranging from hardware to software related issues) but its mostly something minor and easily resolved.
What could cause an Android phone’s SD card / mass storage not to be detected when connected to a PC via a USB cord?
The most common causes of this issue are:
- Faulty USB cord: The USB cord might not be making proper contact with the phone or PC due to a dent at any of its tips.
- Faulty PC’s / Android phone’s USB port: The Android phone’s / PC’s USB port might be too loose or faulty
- Minor OS error: The Operating System (OS) of the PC or Android phone might have encountered a minor error
- Faulty SD / Memory card: The SD / Memory card might be corrupted or have encountered a Read/Write error
- Incorrect mount settings on the Android: The Android device might have been set to not mount Mass Storage unless manually set
- Driver problems: The Android phone’s drivers might have encountered an error during installation
How can I fix an Android phone’s mass storage / SD card that won’t connect to PC using USB cord?
When faced with such an issue, you’re bound to find the following fixes very helpful:
- Try a different USB cord: Try using another USB cord to connect the Android phone to the PC
- Restart the Phone and PC: Restart both the Android phone and PC to clear any OS errors that might have been encountered
- Try a different port on the PC: Connect the Android phone to the other USB ports on the PC to be sure the fault isn’t from the PC’s USB port(s)
- Check the SD / memory card for errors: The SD card might require a minor check or even formatting in extreme cases. (See https://journal.hovatek.com/how-to-fix-repair-corrupt-memory-card-sd-card-or-usb-drive/ )
- Enable Mass Storage on the Android phone: When the phone is connected to the PC, you should see a USB icon at the top > slide down from the top of the screen to reveal the menu > Click on Connected as USB Storage > Under USB Computer Connection, Select USB Storage > Press the back button to exit
- Enable USB debugging and Mount SD card: If the USB icon doesn’t appear when the Android phone is connected to the PC then enable USB debugging (Settings > Developer options > Tick USB debugging) then Mount the SD Card (Settings > Storage > Mount SD card)
Why does my Android phone overheat when connected to PC via USB cord?
This could be due to your phone’s high rate of power consumption or a faulty hardware like battery, PSU, motherboard etc. (See https://journal.hovatek.com/how-to-make-an-android-phones-battery-last-longer/ )
Why does my PC takes very long to detect my Android’s SD card / mass storage?
The SD card could have some unresolved errors. Also, the Android phone or PC could be slow, hanging or crashing ( See https://journal.hovatek.com/how-to-easily-make-an-android-phone-run-faster-or-stop-lagging/ and https://journal.hovatek.com/how-to-fix-a-slow-hanging-or-crashing-pc/ )
Hovatek….just a button away!
Need further assistance? Speak with a Hovatek Representative:
Working Hours: Mondays - Saturdays ; 09:00 - 18:00 (GMT +1:00)
* Upgrade to Premium Membership for Live Support: https://blog.hovatek.com/premium-membership
* Hovatek's Mobile app: https://app.hovatek.com
* Skype: Hovatek
* BBM: Hovatek
* BBM Channel: http://www.pin.bbm.com/C00403D80
* PC chat: Click "Chat With Us" at the bottom-right corner of this page
* Helpline(s): +2348021840309
* Email: [email protected]
* Facebook: https://facebook.com/hovatek