Its quite normal for your Windows 10 PC to slow down after several app installs. Lagging could also be as a result of driver, registry or malware issues. Although we’d dropped a very helpful guide on how to fix a slow PC, resetting is sometimes the easiest fix but the fear of losing important files deters many. This guide will teach you how to reset your Windows 10 PC and most importantly, not lose your valuable files.
Will I lose my files and installed applications after I reset?
Installed applications? Yes. Files? depending on your selection. As a rule of thumb, backup all your important files to an external storage device (SSD, HDD, SD card or Flash drive). This guide is however aimed at preventing file loss as a result of the Operating System (OS) reset.
How do I reset my Windows 10 PC and still not lose my files?
* Note: Ensure that the PC’s battery is well charged or charging throughout the process (recommended) to avoid an interruption due to a drained battery.
There are two methods you could use:
- Reset from outside Windows
- Reset from within Windows (recommended)
To reset Windows 10 from outside Windows, follow our guide on how to install Windows 10
To reset from within Windows:
Launch the Windows Start menu and click Settings
Click Update & security
If you wish to retain your files but remove apps and settings, select Keep my files (Recommended). If you wish to remove apps, settings and files, select Remove Everything.
Wait while the reset wizard gets ready
You should get a notification of what is to be removed
Click Reset to commence the reset
Sit back and let the process complete. Once its done, you should find yourself in the Windows 10 setup menu.
* Note: It might take a while so fight off the temptation to interfere with the reset process.
Hovatek….just a button away!
Need further assistance? Speak with a Hovatek Representative:
Working Hours: Mondays - Saturdays ; 09:00 - 18:00 (GMT +1:00)
* Upgrade to Premium Membership for Live Support: https://blog.hovatek.com/premium-membership
* Hovatek's Mobile app: https://app.hovatek.com
* Skype: Hovatek
* BBM: Hovatek
* BBM Channel: http://www.pin.bbm.com/C00403D80
* PC chat: Click "Chat With Us" at the bottom-right corner of this page
* Helpline(s): +2348021840309
* Email: [email protected]
* Facebook: https://facebook.com/hovatek