A laptop / desktop PC consuming data (bandwidth) heavily could be a nightmare not only when you are on a limited data plan but also when your transfer speed is capped. In most cases, background processes auto-updating, downloading or uploading without your knowledge are to blame for your data plan getting exhausted rather quickly. In my previous guide on how to fix a Windows PC consuming too much data / megabytes , I’d introduced a really helpful freeware called Cucusoft, today, I’ll be sharing one of my favorites; GlassWire .
- Visual Network Monitoring: View all your past and present network activity on a graph
- Internet Security: Useful security tools like system file change detection, device list change detection, app info change detection, ARP spoofing monitoring etc
- Network Time Machine: View your network activity for a specified time range
- Discreet Alerts: Non-intrusive notification on your data usage
- Bandwidth Usage Monitor: Monitor your real time, daily, weekly and monthly bandwidth usage
- Remote Server Monitoring: Remotely monitor your server’s network activity
- Internet Privacy Protection: Monitor what applications are using your bandwidth, what servers such apps are communicating with and the location of such servers
- Ask to connect: Refuse new network connections until you’re asked to approve or deny the connection by GlassWire.
- Lock down mode: Disable all network connectivity so no application downloads or uploads while you’re away from your PC
- Mini graph: Keep a small graph on your desktop at all times without having to open up the full GlassWire application
- Webcam and Mic detection: Get notified when apps are using your PC’s mic or webcam. This could help protect you from hackers looking to record your private moments
- Who’s on your WiFi or Network?: Monitor how many devices are connected to your Wi-Fi network
Using the Firewall feature
Click the Firewall tab to view a list of applications currently connected to the internet. Simply click an application to block it from accessing the internet. Once blocked, a red flame should appear beside the app on the list.
Monitoring live / real-time data usage
Click the Usage tab to monitor your live data / bandwidth usage, active applications and how much data they have consumed so far.
Download GlassWire free version from https://www.glasswire.com/download/
Hovatek….just a button away!
Need further assistance? Speak with a Hovatek Representative:
Working Hours: Mondays - Saturdays ; 09:00 - 18:00 (GMT +1:00)